Monday, November 1, 2010

Contest winner, ropes for NaNoers and haiku, oh yeah

See the guy who fought his way up that pile of boulders to the top of the mountain? That's for you courageous writers tackling NaNoWriMo this month. I know you've got your gear in shape, all you've got to do is press on each day, scrambling upwards bit by bit.

I'll be cheering you on, even though I'm sitting this one out in order to rewrite.

My best advice is take it a step at a time. When it seems you can't go on, when you're exhausted or stumped, go on anyway. If you've got 800 words and don't see how you'll double it before bedtime, keep going. I was shocked to find energy if I didn't let myself give up. It's possible to make your goal, but, if life gets in your way and you can't, then look at it as a chance taken, a grand adventure into possibilities. It was never about winning or losing. It's about the challenge and opportunity. Best wishes to you all.





*
Now for the winner of my book giveaway for All Hallow's Read, which I sorted from my witch's hat, of course. A hardback of Carrie Ryan's THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH goes to:


Kathryn Jankowski


Please send your mailing address via email to me.

*

And when I came upon this mysterious hunk of granite, which speaks to me of ancient ceremonies or cosmic magic, I had to write a haiku.

*

the ancient boulder

wears its sun face forever

written in stone


*

Whatever you're doing this November, may you stumble on wonder and reach the top of a mountain.

24 comments:

Shannon O'Donnell said...

That stone is gorgeous! And so is your haiku! :-)

Congrats to Kathryn!

Paul Greci said...

Great poem, Tricia!!
I'm rewriting for now as well.

Paul C said...

Enjoy your haiku of that hardest and most inspiring rock.

Wen Baragrey said...

I love the sun rock! It does seem very druidic.

Lydia Kang said...

I really like that haiku.
:)

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

That rock is so cool! (as is the haiku) I'm sitting out NaNo to do rewrites as well, but I'm with the NaNoites in spirit! :)

Liza said...

The first picture is amazing!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

@Shannon: I couldn't believe it when I saw that marking on the stone. I went off trail to get close for the shot. Thank you.

@PaulG: I'm so glad you like it. Sometimes the photos and haiku just come to me.

@PaulC: Hi, other Paul! You've had quite the adventurous summer. I'm tickled you like my rock.

@Wen: Oooooo, yes, druids. That's perfect. :)

@Lydia: Yay, thank you so much!

@Susan: I'm so glad everyone finds that boulder as cool as I did. I'm all smiley.

@Liza: Ha! I'm glad you like that one. I've taken a few of different climbers. One of them kept making groaning noises and worried me. But so far, all I've seen have mastered the boulders and got to the top.

storyqueen said...

I am sitting this one out, too...even though I really didn't do it last year, either....I just wanted to finish a book, which I didn't anyway. Actually, November is one of my least productive months.....

Good Luck on the rewrite!!

Shelley

Sherrie Petersen said...

Love your photos. That haiku is perfect for that rock!

kathrynjankowski said...

I'm thrilled to have won! Can't wait to read it!
Thanks, Tricia!
Yes, I'm using lots of exclamation marks but the Giants won the World Series and I am hyped!!!!!
;-)

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

@Shelley: I hoped to do my own NaNo on rewrite, but didn't get anywhere today. I haven't found the magic fix for my problem yet. Hope you're finding your groove.

@Sherrie: Whee, thank you! That's wonderful to hear.

@Kathryn: You're welcome! It truly is pretty scary.
And, yay for the Giants! Sounds like you had some partying going on.

Elana Johnson said...

Climbing a mountain one step at a time is a great metaphor for NaNo.

Jemi Fraser said...

Wow - nature creates some pretty incredible scenes!

Love the image of the climb too :)

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

@Elana: It sure feels like a mountain, doesn't it? :)

@Jemi: Yeah, there are all kinds of incredible things around us. I love finding them.

Robyn Campbell said...

Congrats Kathryn!

Excellent haiku, as usual, Pat. I must email you one of mine. I'm not brave enough to put it on the blog. It's not as good as yours, but would love to share it with you. :)

Sarah Laurence said...

Good luck to NaNoers and to you on your rewrite. Enjoyed your haiku and photos too.

Phoenix said...

That stone looks like a sunset. Hrmmmm...

I enjoyed your haiku greatly. I too, will be sitting this NaNoWriMo out but cheering from the sidelines!

Susan R. Mills said...

Great pics! I'd also like to wish all the NaNo doers good luck. It's a tough thing, but it can be done!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

@Robyn: I'd love to hear your haiku! I expect there may be horses involved. ;)

@Sarah: Thank you so much.

@Phoenix: And thank you, too. I love to write them.

@Susan: Hi, there! It can be done, and it feels so good to take up a challenge like that.

Suzanne Casamento said...

Beautiful! I look forward to stumbling on wonder and reaching mountaintops. Thank you!

Talli Roland said...

Wonderful photos - and great tips. One step at a time is really the one way to write a novel, NaNo or not.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

@Suzanne: It's a great way to stumble. ;)

@Talli: It's a long road and daunting, so taking it bit by bit seems the way to go, doesn't it?

The Words Crafter said...

Congratulations to the winner and thanks for the encouragement! Good luck on the rewrite!