Sunday, July 2, 2017

haiku in green

the forest sets to
building its own fence, year to
year, log upon log





green as far as eyes
can see in the forest, layer
upon layer, breathing


There is a Japanese practice called forest bathing, which is not simply hiking but is a kind of being aware and at peace in nature. I think I've done it naturally for a long time without knowing there was such a practice. I relax in the woods. I inhale with purpose, look up with joy, reach out with wonder.

It is amazing how often I am renewed after a walk in a forest. Some people joke about tree-huggers, but I find a kind of awe and strength around trees. They live long and anchor in earth while reaching for sky and sun.


2 comments:

Bish Denham said...

I think I've been doing the same thing most of my life. I'm proud to be a tree-hugger. After all, because they exhale oxygen, we live. I'd say that makes them pretty darn important. Hmmm...maybe that's why we feel more calm in the woods, because there's more oxygen, more clean air.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Bish: Wish you were here to walk in the forest with me!